Friday, October 12, 2012

Oven Baked Crispy "Fried" Chicken (Low Carb and Gluten Free!)

Oven Baked 'Fried" Chicken

Enjoy the chicken ala-'fried' without worrying about the fats and oil from deep frying.

I always love chicken, no matter what the recipe, and come on, oven baked'fried' chicken without really frying? It's something worth trying. I gave up (not totally) on eating fried foods because I am trying to lose weight here, but this is too good to pass up.


INGREDIENTS:

6 Chicken legs and thighs, skinned and trimmed of fat
Milk (I used skim though)
1 Cup Plain bread crumbs (I used Southern Homestyle - Gluten Free Corn Flake Crumbs)
Vegetable oil ( I got by without this, perhaps if I used this one the outcome would be better looking, sort of 'fried')
1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese
1 1/4 Tbsp dried parsley flakes, crumbled
1/2 Tsp freshly ground black pepper


DIRECTIONS:


1. Put the chicken in a container (bowl or pan) and cover with milk. Soak for 15 minutes or longer in the fridge.



2. In a bowl, combine crumbs, cheese, pepper and parsley flakes. Dip the chicken pieces one at a time in the breading mixture. Make sure to coat all sides evenly.

3. Place the chicken in a grill pan or grill that can be used inside the oven. Put the grill over a baking pan coated with non-stick spray and a little water (for moisture drips). Lightly spray the chicken with the vegetable oil spray (Which I didn't do because I don't have any at this time.)

4. Bake in a preheated oven at 375*F for 45 minutes.


This actually turned out good despite the fact that I didn't use any oil spray. The sad thing was that I wanted it to be CRISPIER and so I put it back in broiler for 5 minutes, and I am lucky that I didn't burn it, only the upper crust (sigh). You know WHAT NOT to do right? If you want it crispier, take it out of the oven and let cool for 5 minutes.

You can serve this together with asparagus salad, or steamed veggies.


This recipe has been adapted from www.cooks.com.

2 comments:

  1. i wish we had an oven to do this. nevertheless, looks sooo goooood!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is really good Jam, as in! Well, if you don't mind eating fried foods you can go ahead and deep-fry this one.

    ReplyDelete

Daily Dose of Cravings