Sunday, March 24, 2013

Ginataang Langka - Jackfruit in Coconut milk

Ginataang Langka - Jack fruit in Coconut milk

March is almost over and I barely cooked anything. Working has taken it's toll on me, and I have been abusing my body with all the frozen prepared foods and eating out. I still am not there, but I am pulling my weight to get back on track. I want to get back on cooking all my meals.

Anyway, I wanted to share one of my favorite foods. We call this, ginataang langka (jack fruit), or jack fruit in coconut milk. I can remember my family gathering around the table, with this at the center, and we have our share of vinegar dips (white vinegar with a dash of salt) and plain rice. The fun and mess we made!

If you like coconut milk, an adventurous palate, I am pretty sure you will enjoy this one.


INGREDIENTS:

4 cans 10oz Aroy-d young green jackfruit (available in Asian stores)
1 pc medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
1 tsp minced garlic
1 onion, chopped
salt to taste
3 cups coconut milk
2 cups large shrimp (or adjust accordingly)
1 cup (chicken meat, bone-in, or any preference)* optional
1 knob ginger, cut into strips
2 pcs chili (optional)

DIRECTIONS:

In a skillet, add 1 tbsp olive oil, heat and add the chicken, cook until brown. Set aside.

In a large pot, mix all the ingredients, except for the shrimp.

Evenly level the coconut milk and jackfruit to avoid dryness. Cook covered for 15-20 minutes over medium heat.

When jackfruit is fork tender, add the shrimp and salt. Cook for 5 minutes more. Serve with rice and white vinegar with a dash of salt as dip for the jackfruit and shrimp.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Dose of Cravings