Sunday, November 25, 2012

Pancit Canton Guisado - Sauteed Vegetable with Noodles

Pancit Canton Guisado
 
I can't believe that November is almost over. It's almost four months since I started experimenting in the kitchen. Not that I do not know how to cook, I do. Only when I came to America, my opportunity exploded into a thousand different proportion that I do not really know where to start, so I just have to deal with what I can and with what I have.



Sometimes, while trying new recipes, you get to miss all the ones you got so used to. This dish, is one of those. Basically, Pancit Canton Guisado recipe is of Asian origin. We, Filipino's love to prepare this dish in every possible occasion. Regular, birthdays, holidays, you name it, and we can have it anytime of day.

You can add a variety of ingredients and this is very good. My recipe has limitations, for the ingredients for instance, because I have to go to the Asian store to get most of its ingredients, but with what I have in the fridge, it will do.

By the way, this is still part of my budget meal November recipes. 

So here it goes;

INGREDIENTS:

8 oz flour sticks or egg noodles
6 oz pork meat, cut into cubes
4 oz chicken thigh, cut into cubes
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp patis or fish sauce
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup dried shitake mushrooms (or your mushroom of choice), soaked in warm water
1/2 cup carrots, cut into julienne style
1/2 cup cabbage, cut julienne style
1 cup snow peas, trimmed
1 tsp minced garlic
1 cup onion, chopped
1 tbsp sesame oil
1 cup shrimp, shelled, deveined and cut into little pcs
2 tbsp scallions
soy sauce and pepper to taste
4 cups water
2 tbsp olive oil

 DIRECTIONS:

1. In stockpot, boil pork and chicken in 4 cups of water. Remove when tender from pot. Reserve 3 cups broth.

2. In frying pan, heat oil and saute garlic until brown; add garlic and onion and cook until transparent. Season with salt.

3. Stir in pork, and chicken and season with patis or fish sauce and pepper. Simmer for 20 minutes. Add reserved broth and vegetables. Season with soy sauce and sesame oil. Add the noodles and shrimps and cook until done. Season with patis or salt and pepper to taste. Top with scallions.

Serves 4.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Dose of Cravings