Sunday, August 19, 2012

Boiled Beef and vegetables - Nilagang Baka














The weather outside is windy and chilly, so what makes a great comfort food? Something boiled or braised is good! I have a little over 2 lbs of beef that is best for soup with this recipe (shank, soup bones or ribs are good , too!)

This recipe is easy, but the process takes a long time because you have to boil the beef meat to tenderness. No worries though, because it will be worth it.

Wouldn't let you wait, here it is.

INGREDIENTS:

1 Kilo beef (shank, ribs or soup bones), cut the meaty part into serving size
4 Red Potatoes, peeled and halved
1 Bundle Chinese Cabbage, sliced
1 Bundle Bok Choy
1 Medium Onion
Lemongrass, tied into a knot
Salt and pepper
Water to use enough for the whole process

DIRECTIONS:

Boil the beef until it is tender, frequently remove the accumulated meat floating in the boiling water. Add the potatoes and lemongrass and let it boil until potatoes become tender. Add the vegetables and let it simmer 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper according to taste.

This is also counted as a meal already. For most Asians like I am, we serve this with rice. But since I am on 'diet', I eat this without rice because I already have the potatoes.

Don't get me wrong, I am careful with my calorie count, when I eat a heavy meal, I eat them when it is lunchtime, so I can have plenty of room to move the whole afternoon.

'Nuff said, sip it.



2 comments:

  1. Oxtail would be really good in this! Thanks for sharing ~ Patty

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very much welcome. Yes, Oxtail would also be good in this one. Let me know how yours turns out if you get to try it.

    ReplyDelete

Daily Dose of Cravings