Friday, December 14, 2012

Meaty Marinara Sauce


Meaty Marinara Sauce
I made my first marinara sauce a few months back, but I only got the chance to post it now because I have the need to use it again in one of my recipes. I made a slight adjustment and addition to this recipe and my, oh my, it is heavenly I TELL YOU!

This recipe is flexible, you can remove the ground turkey ingredient if you just want to make the sauce.

I use this for my pasta recipes or anything that needs pasta sauce. You can be creative.

INGREDIENTS:

2 pcs yellow onion, peeled and chopped
4 tbsp olive oil, divided
6 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground turkey
2 tbsp dried herbs(I just use Italian seasoning)
1/2 cup red wine (optional)
12 cups fresh roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and quartered
salt and pepper
old bay seasoning

 DIRECTIONS:

Heat olive oil. Add onions and cook slowly until they caramelized. Add garlic and dried herbs. Cook for 5 minutes.

De-glaze the pan with 1/2 of the red wine and cook for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and their juice, stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and cook low, stirring occasionally for at least two hours, depending on the water content of the tomatoes.

The sauce should be thick with much of the water evaporated to concentrate the flavor. Add salt and pepper to taste.

In a separate skillet, heat remaining oil, add and cook the ground turkey, and cook until brown. Season with salt and pepper and 1/2 tsp of old bay. Cook thoroughly. Mix with marinara sauce and simmer low for an hour. Serve together with your favorite pasta or meat.
























No comments:

Post a Comment

Daily Dose of Cravings